Requesting assistance with an Intercultural Communication Essay.
Multicultural Essay: This assignment requires that you have an intercultural interaction with someone from a culture different than your own, read about that different culture in depth (research), reflect upon it and write about it. Once you have identified the friend you will be interacting with for this assignment, read up about their culture and history ahead of time (using the information provided in the text). Formulate some questions you want to ask them about their culture and experience. Spend time with the person or group from a culture different from your own. You may spend time with them; Talk to them or interview them about their culture. Observe their interactions (if spending time with a family or group). The purpose of this assignment is to help you learn about a cultural system that is different from yours through reading and through interactions with members of that cultural group. Write a 6-8 page researched, reflective paper about the intercultural experience in which you have participated. The paper should include:
- A detailed description of the experience
- A discussion of the history of the cultural group you interacted with, as well as the values and assumptions operating in the other cultural system
- A discussion of how the other culture differs from your own and implications for future interactions
- Attention to the context in which the interactions occurred and how that affected the communication, as well as the power positions of your own race/ethnicity/group compared with that of the culture you interacted with
- An application of concepts, skills and attitudes learned thus far in the course to your understanding of the experience.
- The paper should conform to all MLA document and research standards.
- Works cite page
- In-text citations
- No less than four (4) outside sources.
- The essay should show a clear understanding of the material studied in the book.