Increase understanding of diversity and inclusion in your environment.
1. Search the NOVA Events Calendar (Links to an external site.) or Virtual Student Union (Canvas site) for a student life (Links to an external site.) activity that addresses a diverse identity and/or cultural awareness (i.e. Affectional/Sexual Orientation, Age/Generation, Disability, Nationality, etc.).
2. Discuss the following:
- Share the activity you selected.
- Explain why you believe NOVA sponsors/promotes this activity.
- How this activity can be inclusive to students that do not share this identity and/or culture.
- Attendance is not required for completion of this assignment; but extra credit will be awarded with proof of attendance following the extra credit guidelines provided on the next page.
3. Read and reply to at least 2 of your classmates. Explain how you would learn more about that identity or culture by attending the event.
Before posting, please review the following guidelines for successful participation in this discussion:
- Provide a well-thought out response that fully addresses the questions or points presented. Try to include information or examples from the assigned readings and videos. Your initial post should be a minimum of 100 words.
- When responding to the posts of your classmates, make a valuable contribution to the discussion. Simply agreeing or disagreeing adds little to the discussion and doesn’t promote a mutually beneficial learning environment. Expand on the original post in a meaningful and relevant way. Please remember to keep your posts respectful to contribute to a friendly and helpful learning environment. Your response posts should be a minimum of 50 words each.
- Write in complete sentences and check for grammar.
- Write in your own words. Copying another’s work is considered plagiarism. View the guide on plagiarism:
To post your responses:
- Click the Reply button below to post your introduction in the discussion forum.
- To include an image in your post, refer to the Inserting an Image in a Discussion Board Post (Links to an external site.).
- When finished, click the Post Reply button.
- You can also find this discussion forum by clicking the Discussions link in Course Navigation.
- If you need assistance, you can follow the specific instructions on the Canvas discussions (Links to an external site.). It also provides directions for subscribing to forums and sorting and viewing postings in a forum.
This discussion is worth 50 points toward your course grade.
Your initial response is worth 30 points and your responses to classmates are worth 20 points (10 points each).