- There are nine types of muscular dystrophy, with each type involving an eventual loss of strength, increasing disability, and possible deformity. Pick one type and discuss it.
- There is no known cure for muscular dystrophy and the causes are complex and multifold. Stem Cell treatment, however, as a cutting edge treatment is showing some initial hope for success. Please research and discuss.
Case Study Example
Limb Girdle Muscular Dystrophy
DIAGNOSIS: Limb Girdle Muscular Dystrophy (LGMD)
Patient History: 6 Years ago, developed progressive weakness in his limb muscles. The Neurologist diagnosed LGMD.
REASON FOR COMING FOR TREATMENT: The Patient had tried all available conventional treatments in the best of neurology hospitals in his country but with no improvement in his condition. The Patient was informed by the doctors that there is no treatment for this condition. He thought of trying new emerging treatments like stem cells, benefits of which he had heard about from other patients groups suffering from muscular dystrophies.
TREATMENT: Mesenchymal Stem Cells Derived from Whartons Jelly of Human Umbilical cord. He Received 5 injections of stem cells, 3 Through Intravenous Route in a dose of 1 Million cells/kg body weight and 2 Injections of adequate cells through intrathecal route.
BEFORE TREATMENT: There Was marked weakness in the muscles of all his limbs and in the power of shoulder, scapula and trunk muscles He Experienced difficulty in climbing stairs, walking and changing positions from sitting to standing position. He Fatigued easily and had diminished stamina for daily activities. Activities Such as combing hair, brushing teeth and eating with hands were difficult. However, He had no problem in writing.
AFTER TREATMENT: The Following improvements were noticed after 3 Months of follow-up:
- There was improvement in the power of his shoulder muscles and now could raise his arms over the shoulder level.
- Due to this improvement, he could perform activities such as combing hair and brushing teeth with less effort.
- His confidence and stamina were elevated now.