Consider the residential waste components (1st column in Table 2-6 on p. 53 in the textbook) and answer the following questions: (Your total response for all parts of this question should be at least 300 words.)
- What components of mixed municipal solid waste (MSW) are rejected in storage and sent via truck to the landfill?
- What components pass through the trommel screen? What components are screened out through the trommel screen?
- What components that passed through the trommel screen are captured in the magnetic separator? What components are sent to the flattener?
- What components are removed in the sorting step? See Figure 5-38 (on p. 225) for additional details.
- What materials pass through the sorting step and go into the Hammermill shredding operation?
- What materials are separated in the air classifier operation?
- How do these processes demonstrate best practices of solid waste management?