Assignment description and guidelines:
In this assignment you will evaluate the following aspects of a law enforcement agency.
- Overall Operational System
In order to successfully complete this assignment, please review the guidelines for completion listed below.
- Research and select a law enforcement organization that has not been under federal review.
- Compare/Contrast either the NOPD or the LAPD with the policing agency that has not been under federal review. To begin this process:
- Compare and contrast the policing agency under review with the agency you have chosen that is not under review.
- Analyze a subgroup within each of the two departments and compare the cultures of those two subgroups.
- Describe how specific aspects of each subgroup’s culture contributes positively or negatively to the culture of the department as a whole.
oReview the consent decrees for the New Orleans Police Department and the Los Angeles Police Department.
oPay attention to the policing data and the annual master training plan reports.
oReview Chapter 2 in your textbook.
Write a 1,250-1,500-word essay in which you:
oDifferentiate between the managerial skills in each agency. Discuss management skills in the group culture.
oDescribe the differences between the two departments that cause one to be under review and the other to not be under review.
oEvaluate the behaviors and attitudes within each agency.
oExamine the tasks that are delegated and the alignment with the organizations mission statement.
oExplain how law enforcement activities and documentation of each department were either in compliance or were non-compliant.
oExplain what the department under review can learn from the department that is not under review.
More, H. W., Vito, G. F., & Walsh, W. F. (2012). Organizational behavior and management in law enforcement (3rd ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall. ISBN-13: 9780135071526