You will complete two scenarios:
Most of your work will be to explain how you will set up the assessments / gather information. There is one exception, you must complete a Communication Matrix for at least one of the students.
Links to assessment materials will be provided to you. I will list the steps. On that same page, you are told that you must completeand f the process we discussed as related to assessment earlier in the semester. Part of the process also requires summarizing your results to indicate the features of your solutions that must be in place (
), make recommendations for specific AAC solutions (
The AAC assessment and implementation process includes the steps highlighted above and below.
1. Step 1 – identifying participation patterns and communication needs (receptive and expressive communication) — overview of why this student. To complete Step 1; Which tools will you use to complete Step 1 and what information can you gain from your chosen tool specific to the scenario? What do you know about the student in the scenario that is relevant to Step 1?
2. Step 2 – gathering comprehensive information in the areas below. Everyone must address the components of Step 2 as relevant to the scenarios. Keep in mind that you are not selecting and choosing; what you assess is all based on student need / characteristics. Also, keep in mind tools that can be used are posted at the link above as well as discussed in your readings.
- Opportunity barriers and supports Which tools will you use to gather this information and what information can you gain from your chosen tool specific to the scenario? What do you know from the scenario about barriers and supports?
- Capabilities and access barriers (as identified in your text):
- Vision: What information do you know about vision from the scenario? What information about vision do you still need and how can you gather that information?
- Hearing: (What information do you know about hearing from the scenario? What information about hearing do you still need and how can you gather that information?
- Mobility/Positioning/Seating: What information do you know about mobility/positioning/seating from the scenario? What information about mobility/positioning/seating do you still need and how can you gather that information?
- Manipulation and fine motor: What information do you know about manipulation and fine motor skills from the scenario? What information about manipulation and fine motor skills do you still need and how can you gather that information? Perhaps you will need to make recommendations for a switch assessment; if so, what are your recommendations for a switch assessment?
- Current communication (receptive and expressive) (Communication Matrix must be completed by everyone) Be sure that you address BOTH expressive and receptive communication when you summarize the results. You need to complete the Communication Matrix for only one of the two scenarios that you selected. Be sure to summarize the results you gained from the Matrix and the implications for implementation of AAC solutions for the student.
- Symbol representation (Symbol assessment must be delineated. Specify step-by-step how you will set up the entire symbol assessment. You are basically scripting it in detail.)
- Cognitive / organizational skills: What information do you know about cognitive / organizational skills from the scenario? What information about cognitive / organizational skills do you still need and how can you gather that information?
- Literacy skills: What information do you know about literacy skills from the scenario? What information about literacy skills do you still need and how can you gather that information?
- Functional behavior assessment (if relevant due to target child having problem behaviors, then FBA data needs to be gathered to inform your AAC recommendations and is done via direct assessment – combination of indirect methods and direct observation. If relevant to the scenario, explain in detail how you will set up the FBA and collect the required data.)
3. Step 3 focuses on you pulling from the assessment results above the key features that must be in place in your AAC solutions. Based on what you learned from the scenario, what are specific features / characteristics that you think should be in place and why? You need to address visual support solution and VOCA/SGD solution in terms of characteristics that should be in place.
4. Step 4 – you will identify solutions that match your characteristics specified in Step 3 above. Which VOCAs / SGDs meet your features and which visual support solution matches your recommendations? You can use the information previously shared about single message devices as well as the graduate student assignments that focused on the devices to help you with this portion of the assignment. The previously posted file on visual support solutions as well as the Hodgdon book will help you with the visual support solution portion of this step. What are specific solutions that could meet the needs of the student targeted in the scenario?
5. Step 5 involves implementation and data collection. However, there is not an expectation for you to actually implement given you are working with scenarios. Instead, you will use the
previously shared and write two systematic instruction plans – one for a VOCA/SGD and one for a visual support solution for the same scenario for which you completed Communication Matrix. Remember that you have sample completed instructional forms posted for theand
– you are not being asked to really do anything with Step 6 of the process other than to say it is required. Because you are not implementing any solutions, you do not have any results to provide you with the information you would need to address Step 6.
What Will You Submit?
You will answer all of the points above for your two selected scenarios. You only have to complete the Communication Matrix and the instructional plans for one of the scenarios. All other parts above are addressed for both scenarios.
Steps 1 to step 6 are notes. I will finish uploading everything once you accept this assignment.