Task: Expository writing presents information or offers an explanation. When writing an expository essay based upon a piece of literature you analyze a work of literature from a unique angle.
In Do Not Go Gentle into That Good Night by Dylan Thomas, the author often used the metaphor of light. Thomas once said, My poetry is the record of my individual struggle from darkness towards some measure of light. Analyze how light is used metaphorically in this poem. Be sure to include textual evidence to support your reasons.
Do Not Go Gentle into That Good Night by Dylan Thomas, pages 160-161 in the Reading the World textbook.
Format: As you write, keep these things in mind
- The paper must follow the MLA format guidelines.
- Stay away from using contractions (cant, wont, dont, shouldnt, shell, theyre)
- Do not use abbreviations or texting language (etc., e.g., b/c)
Follow these Steps to Write your Paper:
- Read and Listen to the Text: Do Not Go Gentle into That Good Night by Dylan Thomas, pages 160-161 in the Reading the World textbook.
- Write your thesis:
- A thesis is an answer to the prompt. The prompt is asking you to analyze how light is used metaphorically in the poem Do Not Go Gentle intoThat Good Night by Dylan Thomas.
- You will follow the formula below to write your thesis.
- Topic (Title/Author of text) + Claim (how light is used metaphorically) + Reason (3 reasons to support) = Thesis
- Example: In Do Not Go Gentle into That Good Night Dylan Thomas uses the metaphor of light to explain reason 1, reason 2, reason 3.