Goal: Create an informative PowerPoint presentation on one of the disorders included on the list of topics for the PP project. The list is extensive and includes disorders that are often not included in an abnormal psychology course because there just isnt enough time in one semester! Choose a disorder that intrigues or interests you. I want this to be thought-provoking and meaningful for you, not boring.
Your PowerPoint presentation should be accurate and complete, without being too long. Limit yourself to no more than 12 slides. Use bullets, not long text.
Slides should be attractive, creative, easy to read, and interesting. All text should be your own words, not copied and pasted.
Your presentation should answer the following questions:
- What is the disorder? Is there a history that goes with it (may not have a history)?
- What are the causes of the disorder?
- What are the symptoms? What warning signs are obvious?
- What is the treatment? What are prevention suggestions and strategies pertaining to this illness? (Hint: Look at risk factors/causes, can you prevent the severity of the disorder, can you prolong the age of onset, etc.)?
- Is there anything interesting relating to this disorder (famous people with disorder, current theories, weird treatments, etc.)?
- Is there anything new in the field?
- If possible, add a slide that explains which theory or explanation of the disorder makes the most sense to you.
- Make sure to use citations on where you found the information. Remember, no copying and pasting: it should be in your own words.
This should be a scholarly pursuit of knowledge. You need at least three (3) sources other than what has been assigned in class, but not Wikipedia. Note that multiple selections from one source is only once source. The last page of your PowerPoint should include a list of the sources you used. Use APA format, when applicable when citing your sources.
If you show a video clip, make sure to include the link under your sources.
American Psychological Association, www.apa.org
American Psychiatric Association, https://www.psychiatry.org/
National Institutes of Mental Health, https://www.nimh.nih.gov/
The book e-text I have used as a reference: https://courses.lumenlearning.com/abnormalpsycholo…
The Noba Project (http://nobaproject.com/
Psychology Today https://www.psychologytoday.com/us
British Digest https://digest.bps.org.uk/category/mental-health/
PsychCentral Newsletter https://psychcentral.com/
Sources that teach you about citing the references you used:
Purdue: Offers assistance with different types of writing. I am specifically asking you to look at the APA style, which is used in psychology and the social sciences.
I will also place a PP presentation that teaches you about what APA format is and how to cite several types of resources
Grading: You will be graded on the quality of the information you provide in answering the 7 questions above, the originality of your pictures and text, and the quality of the references you used. This should be original, using your own words and your imagination in choosing visuals for the slides. Remember that there are many free sources for pictures. If in doubt about copyrights, give credit to where you got your pictures from.
I will include a rubric for grading the project.
The topic will be suicide also mention how depression ties in with suicide.