Essay Plan: The Case of Kweku Adoboli: Why Did He Do It?
3000 words due on the 18 th December 11.59pm or die before it
Background: (approx. 400 words)
? Give an explanation as to why Adoboli engaged in illegal trading
? One specific factor which influenced him or multiple factors (social influence,
? Link whatever you write about to embeddedness how the actions of an individual
is linked to not only themselves but those around them
Main body: two sections to this part (approx.. 2000 words)
– What was the reason behind it?
2. Mention that the following levels of analysis are to be considered as an explanation.
There are so many levels of analysis and in the case of Adoboli we can distinguish
between the following four:
– Individual level ? factors specific to the individual and how these factors
interact with a boarder context (society, workplace etc.) this is a micro level
focus on details and personal characteristics leading to the crime.
– Organisational level ? factors specific to his workplace, i.e. UBS. Talk about
corporate culture, workplace ethics etc. AKA the meso-level of analysis which
focuses on the middle ground between macro and micro analysis.
– Industry level ? factors such as industry culture and dynamics also the
demographics in the company. Link this to corporate culture, workplace ethics
too. Example of macro level analysis
– Societal level definitely a macro level of analysis. Focus on things such as race
relations, social mobility process and the capitalists values (deportation,
Conclusion: (approx. 500-600 words)
? DO NOT introduce any new ideas
? DO NOT repeat the background ^
? Summarise each level into one sentence
? Last sentence of the paragraph should briefly reiterate why Adoboli did it.
? Go through lecture three and four notes thoroughly and pick out key concepts that
link to corporate culture, ethics, finance ethics etc.
? Harvard Reference all the sources used alphabetically title isnt bibliography it should
? Dont waffle whatever statement youre making support it with evidence and if
you cant find evidence then it probably doesnt need to be there or isnt relevant to