DISABILITY CULTURE PLUNGE via MEDIA
ADA 30 Interviews for ABILITY Magazine
From the list below, you will choose 2 of the following online interviews to watch from ABILITY Magazines ADA30 Summit in celebration of the Americans with Disabilities Act. At least one of the interviews must be from those written in red. (You may use two of the interviews in red. But you may not use two of the interviews written in black.)The interview links are listed below:
- Judy Heumann – https://youtu.be/SZWRZVG66Gg
- Day Al-Mohamed – https://youtu.be/gACpRWjtl9A
- Edlyn & Diego Pena – https://youtu.be/cAO7y5598BY
- CJ Jones – https://youtu.be/lVKZhQcZyWg
- Matthew Wangeman – https://youtu.be/vwiz8eqVw9o
- Michelle Nario-Redmond – https://youtu.be/lFwEi6ioV8Y
- Andy Imparato – https://youtu.be/J-cerZzs1Hs
- Lateef McLeod – https://youtu.be/c5n8LmafsTY
- Lydia X. Z. Brown – https://youtu.be/IBiYygsZzq8
- Jonathan Mooney – https://youtu.be/iEAwSmx_5cQ
A culture plunge can be defined as exposure to a culture that is different from our own and, in this class specifically, the culture of disability.For this modified disability culture plunge, you will experience the culture of disability by watching/listening to 2 interviews and comparing/contrasting their experiences and their messages with each other, and connecting them to course content. The expectation is for you to take the ideas we have presented in readings and lectures and reflect on how those concepts apply to the people in these interviews.
You will demonstrate mastery of course concepts by responding to the prompts/questions below in the required format.
- Microsoft Word format ONLY
- 3 pages of question/answer text
- Responses must be in essay/paragraph format underneath respective points/questions
- 1 margins
- 12-point font
Required Reflection Content
Answer each question/prompt in 1-2 paragraphs while applying content that was covered in the course. Indicate A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H and I for each response. Include the question/prompt and the answer to each question/prompt.
- Who were the two individuals that you met in their online interviews? Why did you choose those two individuals? 1 point
- How were the two individuals similar in their perspectives? How were their perspectives unique? 2 points
- What were your initial assumptions, biases, and/or stigmas you had before watching these interviews? How did the interviews challenge or change your thinking?
- Explain how the content and perspectives in the interviews relate to the social model and medical model of disability. 2 points
- Name at least 2 of the following concepts learned in this course that are applicable to these interviews and explain how they apply.2 points
- Assistive Technology
- Inspiration porn
- Respectful language related to disability
- How did these interviews shape your understanding of disability rights or civil rights as a whole?2 points
- If you could spend the day with each of these people, what would you hope to do and to talk about or ask? Why?2 points
- What impact has this course had in your life, if any? Given what you have learned in Gen S420 in general, how might you see yourself including, and contributing to the lives of people with disabilities now and in the future? And how might you foresee people with disabilities contributing to your life now and in the future? 1 point
- Throughout your paper, use of person-first language is required (unless you are a person with a disability who prefers identity-first language and informs us of your preference within your paper). Respectful language is required. Inspiration porn is unacceptable. Proper disability-related language etiquette is required.For help with this, please refer to the Disability-Related Language in Written Assignments document in Blackboard.