This activity is based on the “mixed bulk materials to make a slurry” scenario presented in our Thiess (2011) reading u10s2….
We’ll do a group breakout discussion around this assignment in class on Tuesday that will allow students to help each other identify and decide on the best way to approach completing this assignment. Make sure you’ve done the assigned reading before class on Tuesday.
Submit a small Word document that answers the following questions about the scenario, including any rationale that supports your answers:
- What is the unit as seen by the customer?
- What is the possible defective explicitly identified?
- What is the unit as seen by the process/operator?
- What are the defects mentioned or implied that can be counted?
- What are the mentioned or implied process measures?
- Which process measures could be subject to loss function analysis?
Your analysis should attempt to go beyond what is explicitly stated in the reading to further infer additional components of your Measurement System for the scenario. This should include quantitative aspects of the operation, product handling aspects, time & motion measures, etc. Consider every aspect of the scenario that you feel could be quantified through measurement.