For this paper you will write a paper, between 500 and 1,000 words in length, in which you describe your experience of doing the following operant conditioning project. Make sure to include in your paper at least five of the following textbook words (in bold):
- operant conditioning, reinforcement, positive reinforcement, shaping, behavior, associative learning, acquisition
Operant Conditioning Project
This project focuses on some concepts on learning, which is discussed in chapter 7 of our textbook. You will be applying the principle of operant conditioning to some aspect of your life.
- Step one: Choose a behavior that you would like to modify. For example you could choose exercising, your diet, cleaning, sleep habits, study habits, or some other behavior.
- Step two: Choose a goal. Decide how you will change your behavior. The more specific you are with your goal the better.
- Step three: Decide what you will do to reinforce your behavior. A reinforcement can be a reward or something you can enjoy doing. Encouraging yourself is also a form of reinforcement. You can also try to figure out how the modified behavior might be naturally rewarding (reinforcing) in itself. You also might want to consider what is reinforcing your current behavior that you want to change, and how you might reduce or eliminate that reinforcement.
- Step four: Decide how you will apply the principles of shaping. Instead of changing your behavior all at once, think of smaller steps you can take towards your new behavior.