Plan to spend at least 1 hour per week either listening to, watching or reading the publication you’ve been assigned, focusing on news about police violence, reform efforts and Black Lives Matter protests. By Monday, November 23, each student must submit a one-page initial report to their group leader that answers the following questions:
- Who owns and operates this media outlet?
- How is this outlet funded?
- How does the medium (TV, radio, or internet) affect the message of the outlet. Give an example.
- Does the outlet follow a code of ethics? What biases, if any, does this outlet exhibit? Does it have an explicit agenda? Give specific, detailed examples.
- Does the outlet do its own original reporting? What kinds of sources are cited? Give specific, detailed examples.