The Southwest Airlines HR director is pleased with the work youve completed for the organization and would like to take your contribution to the next level. In the first part of this assessment, you’ll review several strategic reports on the organization and provide feedback on how you think Southwest HR should move forward. In the second part of this assessment, you’ll continue working on your expansion recommendation by honing in on human resource issues associated with the country you selected in the second Competency Assessment.
Part 1: Strategy Recommendation
The Southwest HR director would like you to review several strategic reports on the organization and provide feedback on how you think the organization should move forward.
Compile a strategy recommendation to the HR director to be used for company-wide decisions. Include the following information in your report:
- An executive summary of the HR strategy project
- An analysis of current strategies and issues
- Identify the type of strategy Southwest Airlines is following.
- Identify 3 HRM implications for Southwest Airlines.
- Develop and justify business strategies for each of the 3 HRM implications.
- Determine an HR strategy.
Use at least 2 sources other than those provided. Review the following sources to assist with your recommendation:
- Southwest Airlines case study on pages 101-102 of the text.
- SWOT report in detail on Business Source Complete
Part 2: International HR Issues
Southwest Airlines management liked your presentation about potential expansion of the organization into your recommended country and would like to learn more about identified issues prior to potential expansion.
Using your resources and recommendations from Competency Assessment 2, identify 3 human resource considerations with your selected country, such as labor laws and safety. Provide a recommendation for dealing with each of the 3 identified issues. For each identified issue, include the following:
- A description of the issue
- An explanation of why that issue could arise if Southwest was to expand into the chosen country
- A recommended strategy for dealing with the issue, including enough detail that specific tactical actions could be developed
Create a 10- to 14-slide presentation on your expansion recommendation along with potential issues for the Southwest Board of Directors.
Include speaker notes that are detailed enough so a colleague could give the presentation without previous knowledge.