Response to a post
250 word count
- Your post must be highly organized, thorough and accurate.
- Advance the discussion or extend discussions already taking place.
- Responses must add new information not previously discussed. Pose new possibilities or opinions not previously voiced. Consider new factual information tied with critical thinking. Interesting and current research on the topic.
- Do not simply summarize another student’s post and agree/disagree. Consider starting out posts with, A research article I found said, Did you know, 3 things I found interesting were
- CRITICAL THINKING very important
Blood pressure (BP) is the force exerted by blood on a vessel wall. Contractions of the heart initiates a wave of pressure that sharply decreases as the blood flows farther and farther away from the ventricle of origin (Saladin,2020). Whenever we have a doctor’s appointment getting our blood pressure checked is one of the routine parts of the examination, which is measured by a syphygomanometer at the brachial artery and consists of an inflatable cuff connected a rubber bulb for pumping air into (Saladin,2020). As a puerto rican we basically use salt in a lot of our cooking which can make blood pressures go up. When we eat too much salt our body holds on to the water in an effort to dilute it and can make the heart work harder which is why doctors always make sure patients with high blood pressure watch what they eat and the sodium intake because high blood pressure can lead to strokes or myocardial infarction (heart attack). Patients with high blood pressure are often on medications to help with their high blood pressure (hypertension), at my job i see a lot of prior authorizations for hypertension medications such as atenolol and metroprolol. A healthy adult blood pressure is 120/75 mm Hg (120 mm Hg systolic, 75 mm Hg diastolic), the difference between systolic and diastolic pressure is called pulse pressure (Saladin,2020). Blood flow in the arteries is pulsatile, in the aorta blood rushes forward at 120 cm/s during systole and has an average speed of 40 cm/s and when measured farther away from the heart, systolic and diastolic pressures are lower and there is less difference between them (Saladin,2020). Hypertension (high blood pressure) is commonly considered to be a chronic resting blood pressure higher than 140/90, hypertension can weaken arteries and cause aneurysms and can cause the developement of atherosclerosis (saladin,2020). Hypotension is chronic low resting blood pressure. Hypotension can be caused by blood loss, dehydration, anemia, and is normal in people who are approaching death (Saladin,2020).