As you learned in this module, there are many laws and regulations that security professionals must consider, depending on their organization or industry, location, and what kind of information they are being entrusted with. Throughout your career as an IT professional, you may find yourself working in multiple industries. If you work in different industries, you need to have a general understanding of numerous laws and regulations to determine what is applicable.
For your initial post, introduce yourself to your peers and instructor. What personal or professional experiences have you encountered that are related to the topics of this course? If you have not encountered these topics before, what are you most looking forward to covering in this course? This discussion provides you and your peers with an opportunity to get to know one another and to build a strong support system throughout this course.
( PLEASE NOTE THAT THE SELF INTRODUCTION WILL BE DONE BY ME, ALSO I HAVE NOT ENCOUNTERED ANY TOPICS BEFORE BUT WILL LOVE TO TALK ABOUT HIPAA. YOU WILL ALSO BE RESPONDING TO 2 PEERS )
Next, select one of the four laws provided below:
- Sarbanes-Oxley Act (SOX)
- General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA)
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
Lastly, answer the following questions through the lens of an IT professional:
- Which industry does your selected law apply to? If it applies to several, name a few.
- What is the most important element of the law to consider? Why?
- Do you think you will encounter your selected law in your career as an IT professional?
In response to two of your peers, answer the following:
- Suggest one or two additional elements to consider for their selected laws.
- Do you agree with their perspective? Why or why not?
- Provide an additional industry for consideration, if applicable.
- If you selected the same law, how did your responses differ?