- Design plans for care specific to the older adult.
Consider the scenario below, then follow the instructions underneath it to complete the assignment.
Mrs. Y is an 84-year-old client who was recently discharged from the hospital for an infected diabetic ulcer on her left leg. During her hospitalization, Mrs. Y required intravenous antibiotic therapy through a peripherally inserted central catheter (PICC) line.
Due to Mrs. Y’s long history of diabetes, her physician ordered that intravenous antibiotic therapy be continued at home. Subsequently, home health services were initiated, a home health nurse was assigned to Mrs. Y’s case, and an initial home visit was scheduled.
The home health nurse arrives at Mrs. Y’s home and introduces herself to the client and the family. The nurse explains the home nursing services that will be provided, including the PICC line and intravenous antibiotic therapy treatments.
During the initial home visit, the nurse assessed the physiological, psychological, functional, and safety needs of the client. The nurse’s findings were as follows:
Consider Mrs. Y’s current health status and functional decline, then address the following:
- Download the Concept Map and Plan of Care worksheet below. An example is also provided for your reference.
- Identify three (3) priority nursing diagnoses for Mrs. Y. Consider using the resource below to assist you.
- eBook: Nursing Diagnosis Manual: Planning, Individualizing, and Documenting Client Care – Chapter 5 Nursing Diagnoses in Alphabetical Order
- Create a visual representation of the three (3) priority nursing diagnoses by incorporating them into the Concept Map (template in the worksheet). Be sure each nursing diagnosis includes the following elements:
- Complete the Nursing Plan of Care (table in the worksheet) describing what should be implemented for Mrs. Y.
- Complete the assignment using proper spelling, grammar, and APA.