My persuasive speech topic is ” The effects that daylight saving time have on humans and why should we get rid of daylight saving time. This paper/persuasive speech does not have to be long. I just have to present it on zoom and it supposed to last up to 5-7 mins long reading which is really about 4-5 nice paragraphs. Please include a nice conclusion. Please read guidelines below and PLEASE ask questions if you have any. Please no plagiarism.
It is important that this speech (as with all speeches):
- Be well researched and rehearsed. You must use at least 3 sources. Be detailed and use: credentialed sources (no Wikipedia), facts, statistics, and other important, sufficient, relevant, and recent information.
- The speech purpose must be one of the following- To strengthen or weaken beliefs, attitudes or values; To change beliefs, attitudes or values; To motivate and call to action
- Incorporate the source material in the spoken body of your speech. If you do not write it in your own words, I will be able to tell. So use the sources openly, but put everything in your own words when possible. (You may have no more than 5 short quotes. This includes statistics).
- Be organized in the topical, cause and effect, motivational, or problem solution pattern.
– Strong Introduction that is attention getting
– Clear transitions throughout the body of the speech with proof for your thesis.
-Conclusion summarizing the main ideas and calling for change, a solution or action of some kind.
- Focus on a topic that addresses the needs, concerns and values of your audience. Pick something that you are interested in and that the audience is interested in to. Try not to use previous assignments from other courses, as they may not fit with this speech.
- Address the main idea throughout the speech in a persuasive manner.
- Balance logic, ethics and emotion. (DON’T forget the ethics part.) For more information on that, check in the module.
- Take into account your audience. Consider who is there. Racism, sexism, ageism, inequality, ethnocentricism (not paying attention or being sensitive to other cultures), homophobia, religious intolerance, etc…. can cause your audience to be alienated. You want the audience to be on your side.
- Think about counter-arguments and opposing points of view while you are working on your speech.
- The speech does not have to be memorized, but I also don’t want you reading directly from a manuscript. Use your outline/power point to guide you, but connect with the audience/camera as wel
- Be 7-8 minutes in length. NO MORE, NO LESS. Time your speech and rehearse it at least 4 times.