San Francisco Proposition G– Shall the City amend the Charter to allow San Francisco residents to vote on local candidates and local ballot measures if they are U.S. citizens, at least 16 years old and registered to vote?
- WHO? Campaign’s supporters and opponents/contributions and expenditures Provide information about the people involved within the campaign, for and against the Proposition
- Who put this on the ballot? Why? Who are the measures’ most important supporters and opponents? (Look on the website for endorsements or the ballot pamphlet for this info) Can you find any background information about the main supporters/opponents? Why did they get involved in this issue?
- What constituencies, interest groups and/or communities are most affected by this ballot measure? What neighborhoods/communities will be impacted if it passes (or if it doesn’t pass)?
- Are there any polls on how the measure is doing among potential voters?
- How much money have they raised in the current election? Who is contributing money to the campaign on each side? (See SF Elections Commission/CA Sec. of State/Maplight foundation and news websites for this information)
- Do you see a pattern (mostly from businesses, what industries, unions, small business owners, individuals, etc.)? Are the contributions mostly small or large? Give specific examples and a detailed explanation of where the money is coming from.
- Are there independent expenditure committees supporting the campaign (or opposing it)? Who is behind them?
- How much money did they spend on their campaign? What kinds of things did they spend money on?
Please answer the questions thoroughly; your grade will depend mostly on how much information you find, and whether the information is credible and accurate.
Provide at least 5 references TOTAL to get credit for the assignment.